Saturday, November 19, 2011

Reason #12 to go abroad with SIT


Reason's 1-11 don't matter enough for their own post. The biggest reason (at this moment in time) is that my classes have been over since the 27th of October. No Arabic, no thematic seminar, just one month to research and write a paper. Can you believe that? One month. To write one paper. Not one week to do 3 papers, 4 finals, and a debate tournament. One paper. That’s it. Piece of cake.

In a lot of ways, it is like having a job. I go to SIT everyday where I work on my paper. We’re supposed to have 5 interviews to gather information for our projects. So far I have one, and have another scheduled for Tuesday. Considering the fact that my 40 page paper is due on December 3rd, I’m a little behind. My local advisor, who works for the Royal Scientific Society, is very nice, but was out of the country for a while. He is supposedly lining up my interviews, but I’d like to get them done and start writing. I offered to schedule them myself. Nothing doing.

So all in all, it is pretty easy. I get up in the morning. Go to my “office”, work for a few hours, and go home. Inshallah (Allah willing) I’ll start going to interviews too.

My office and rainy Amman. My pictures are boring since I stopped traveling and started writing. 

It has turned cold and rainy in Amman. Winter makes me homesick for my cozy apartment with Kim, Alex, and Kaitlin. I miss our scraggly Christmas tree and paper snowflakes. I miss the piping hot wood stove at my parents house and sitting on the porch on frosty mornings. I even miss Starbucks red cups and Christmas lights in Target, even though it is only mid November.

Next week we’re supposedly having a Thanksgiving dinner at SIT with all the students. They really should celebrate Thanksgiving here; it is a very Arab holiday. You hang around with family and eat too much. That is the definition of Arab celebrations. 

THIS JUST IN: My advisor just called me to tell me that he just lined up an interview that could be the biggest one of my paper. I take back what I said about him before.

Back to work. If I'm going to to do this interview I need to re-write my interview questions so that they sound like something a real adult would say.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment