Wednesday, November 23, 2011

And so it begins

Today is Thanksgiving Eve, which  I, as a good American and Episcopalian, have always considered to be the beginning of the holiday season.

Despite my fierce independent streak, I have never actually spent a Thanksgiving away from my family before. Dr. Raed suggested that we have a Thanksgiving dinner at SIT, which is a great idea. I'm looking forward to a large celebration with my large and dysfunctional study abroad family, except I'm worried that there will not be enough food (ask any of my roommates, running out of food is one of my biggest fears.) Many of these people have never cooked a meal before ever, much less assisted in preparing Thanksgiving dinner. I offer, for the edification of any of my readers, the Alexander Guide to Thanksgiving Dinner:

1. If there will be more than 7 people, just stop counting and cook two of everything.
2. Cornbread dressing is the true partner to turkey. Stuffing is not.
3. Olives should be on the table, even though no one likes them (In this, at least, the Jordanians are  a step ahead)
4. Concerning gravy: stir it till it feels right.
5. There shall be no fewer than three types of cranberry sauce: Jellies, whole, and relish.
6. Cigar smoking and cards are the only acceptable after dinner activity. (Unless you attend a Nazarene college, of course)
7. The wine list is "Red. White. Pink" (see previous clarification about college attendees)
8. The more types of starch, the better. I recommend rice, brown-and-serve rolls, biscuits, dressing, twice baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, and sweet potatoes, which might be a vegetable.
9. If there is any talking, which is not a statement praising the quality of the food, it is an insult to the chef(s). The meal should be so delicious that diners spend the meal attempting to get as much of it into themselves as quickly as possible.
10. Pies (apple, pecan, and pumpkin) are the only appropriate dessert. Cookies and candies should wait until Christmas. It is also acceptable to eat any of the above pies for breakfast.

I do not expect my classmates to follow this list, but I will be making two pies just in case.

Happy Thanksgiving, America!

1 comment:

  1. happy (jordanian) thanksgiving barbzzzzz. i thought about soul caliber the other day and i nearly burst into tears.

    ReplyDelete