Monday, September 5, 2011

Lets Look at this Differently


5 September 2011
Arjan- Amman Jordan
9:10pm

Today started with me forgetting my wallet and having to bum money for a cab, smashing my second cup of tea this week, and pouring my replacement cup of tea into my iPhone. Happy Labor Day America.

This brings me to an important turning point. I have not been happy here, I’ve actually been seriously wishing I’d gone to Vienna with Cris and James. I’ve been lonely and homesick. Why is this? I’ve studied and dreamed of going to the Middle East for as long as I can remember.  I have a great opportunity for learning and exploring and culture here, and I’ve hated all of it. I’ve felt out of place at my homestay and miserable at school.

So this is my new plan. I call it, “Campaign Happy Travels.” I’m going to make a point  of actually going out and doing things in the city. Now that I’m more comfortable taking cabs I can go and actually do things outside my house and the school.

As with most things, I decided to start at home. I’ve been uncomfortable at my homestay, so I flee to my room to study and read by myself. Tonight I brought my things out to the couch in the living room to study with my eldest host brother.

He helped me with my Arabic homework and we are currently engrossed in American Wrestling, something that, apparently, Jordanians LOVE. And I’ll have to admit, it is better than sitting alone in my room, even though I can’t understand the Arabic dubbing (you don’t have to listen to hard to WWE) and he and I can only speak in his very limited English or my even more limited Arabic.

Tomorrow I’m going to the wedding of a niece of my host father. I’ve never been to a Muslim wedding before and am looking forward to it, but I have nothing to wear. And I don’t mean that in the girly “Oh I have nothing to wear that I haven’t worn before and what if someone else wears the same thing because it’s been off the rack for 6 months.” I mean unless linen pants and plaid shirts are the dress code, I’m going to have to borrow something from Hiba (Jordanian women are unendingly fashionable, I’m so out of my depth).

Next time there will be pictures, I promise!

Best,

No comments:

Post a Comment