Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Off to Cairo

11 October 2011
Amman Jordan
9:15 pm

Greetings,

I haven't written in a while because I haven't done anything interesting. School is distinctly un interesting, and that is all I've don't for the past week or so.

The good news is, that is about to change. Tomorrow I'm leaving at 5:00 am for the airport, when I will then depart to Cairo, Egypt, and I expect things will get real interesting in a hurry.

This week there was a protest in Cairo that resulted in the death of 25 Coptic Christians. Understandably, SIT was a little hesitant to let us go. Humdallah (thanks to God) we got the go ahead yesterday.

I've wanted to visit Egypt since I was in 7th grade and made a model of the Great Pyramid. I remember my teacher being impressed because I was the only student who made his or her model to scale. Seemed like the obvious thing to do to me, and i remember thinking that i couldn't believe i was the only one who thought of that, but I digress (Note: I had similar feelings today during a lecture about sustainable development in Jordan. Some of my classmates are real dumb).

Egypt was my first choice for study abroad, and I'm so happy to get to spend a whole week there! I can't believe I'm going to see the place where the revolution began just a few months ago.

I promise there will be a slew of pictures, but I'm not taking my laptop, so they will have to wait until I get back. Maybe I can sneak a few here or there to keep you anxiously waiting.

سالامي!
B

1 comment:

  1. I so agree with the "Some of my classmates are really dumb," comment. I mean, I don't know your classmates, but some of MY classmates are pretty dumb too.

    And I'm so excited that you get to go to Egypt! Have fun, don't get killed.

    ~Pee

    ReplyDelete